29.8.07

education and expression

(Yomei Shaw)

This is a response to the discussion about education last meeting--triggered by HYF's comment about what a struggle it is to unlearn the habits that education gives us, that education binds and restricts the natural impulses of the student. Maybe I can take this a bit further to point out that generally, the assumption is that education 1) muffles creativity and 2) teaches students NOT to express themselves.

If I recall correctly there was an example raised about how in kindergarten we are taught to control our bodies and to sit still. Then by the time we grow up, we no longer 'know' how to move freely.

Maybe education tends to be a popular target to blame for the inexpressiveness of the younger generation. I'm sure that the above example is also true of my experience, but I'd also like to point out how education (and the adult world) imposes the demand for 'expression' on us.

I grew up in the States so I don't know what it would be like in HK or China (welcome others to comment on this, I'm curious). But I have a rather different point of view on expression. I must confess that I have a deep resentment against being told that I am not 'expressive' enough (a comment which I still get now and again, but which I've learned to ignore), because all throughout my life this is what my parents and teachers have tried to change in me. In order to push me to be more expressive and open, I've been put through all sorts of performing arts training ever since very young--piano, ballet, theatre camp. In piano particularly the pressure to perform expressively is very high. The program that I did was rather different than the way most kids seem to learn here in HK--not exam based, instead we have to participate in a very formal recital every term and of course, every chinese parent's favorite worst nightmare, piano competitions.

I'm not bitter but very grateful for those experiences, they were tough but it has given me a lot. I just think it is ironic how the training may have changed me. . . perhaps not in the way my parents intended at all. They may have thought intensive music training makes you a more well-rounded, expressive person. In my case, it may have led to overspecialization. . I'm very sensitive to music, and highly expressive on the piano and anything related to rhythm, but perhaps it has made me even more 'cold' and 'inexpressive' personally.

So what's the moral. . . MAKING YOUR CHILD INTO AN ARTISTIC PRODIGY WILL NOT MAKE THEM A BETTER PERSON? I'd be very happy if anyone wants to counter this argument or relate their own experiences. .

3 comments:

過‧渡 said...

自幼我媽就「強逼」我學鋼琴,原因是她覺得我性格內向,不太懂得表達自己,怕我將來「搵唔到食」,那學好一技之長,至少可以教琴謀生。

「藝術」在這種方向看來,似乎只是一種「技術」

我自問對音樂的興趣不大,天份也不高,不過經過不斷重複的練習,要應付考試都不會有困難。完成八級後,自覺算是有交代,就停止了學習,現在除了一些流行樂曲,已經少有認認真真的彈琴,也不太懂得利用所學的音樂「技術」抒發自己的感受。

不過我感受到事情的另一面,不知道跟這是十幾年的學習和練習有沒有關係,就是培養了一種專注力和耐性,而且對於聲音多了一點敏感度,我相信學習藝術就是要學習利用身體不同的感官去觀察世界,能從小有機會培養這種敏感度其實是很不錯, 起碼世界會變得豐富的多,雖然未必個個會成天才,但至少會是一種難得的體會。

sandy

過‧渡 said...

I guess our parents were thinking somewhat similarly. Interesting that a very rigorous arts education from the time a child is young could thwart their ambition to pursue the arts when older, as in the case of someone I know. That must be the reason why some piano teachers said it is not a good thing to go to Julliard, the cutthroat competition kills young artists.

過‧渡 said...

If you're interested in reading the feedback to my post on my own site, please visit

http://www.xanga.com/alfaromeoconvertible/613174029/education-and-expression.html

--Yomei